[Smt-talk] Examples of Modes

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Tue Sep 3 14:04:54 PDT 2013

Fiona,

I cannot really discuss your hypothesis of the leap from the final,
which you probably submitted to many tests. I have no such arguments and
only can envisage it in the abstract. The abstract questions that remain
open in my mind include these:

– Would not the antiphone/psalm joining be from the modal final to the
psalm intonatio? (This raises the question whether the intonation was
sung at each verse, a point about which you may know better.) Supposing
that the succession really is between the final and the first note of
the psalm-tone intonation, the situation varies from mode to mode: 1,
D–F; 2, D–C; 3, E–G; 4, E–a; 5, F–D; 6, F–F; 7, G–c; 8, G–G. In other
words, there would be no upwards leap in modes/tones 2, 5, 6 an 8; I
admit that these are not among the most frequent...

– If there are more that one upwards leaps in a melody, not all from the
final, how does one know which one is from the final? I mean this
especially if the leap where to be understood as a conventional signal,
as I trust there are of all kinds in all sorts of ensemble oral music.

– If the leap often is from the final to the tenor/reciting tone, could
it not more generally be said that it is the relation between these
notes, not necessarily established by a direct leap but rather by
statistic qualities of the notes, that define the tonal centricity?
Final and tenor often merely are the most present notes, from a
statistical point of view... I cannot refrain thinking that this
final/tenor relation eventually led to the mid-11th century (St Emmeran)
theory of the fourth and fifth species, and later to the "neo-classical"
conception of the modes which, I believe, strongly determines tonal
centricity in modal polyphony.

Certainly, I have to read your book, and I'll do so as soon as possible.
And your mention of secular music in this respect is tantalizing.

You probably graduated in Paris-Sorbonne just before I arrived there.
Did you work with Nicole Sevestre? (But that probably better belongs to
private discussions.)

Yours,

Nicolas

Nicolas Meeùs,