[Smt-talk] Online music theory education

Timothy Chenette chenettet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 08:31:07 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

	I am working with a graduate student on a research project on online music education at the post-secondary level. In particular, we are looking first to see what current offerings are at different schools; and, second, we will be investigating ways in which creativity and independent thinking in music can be fostered in online or distance education.

	For right now, if you are willing to help us, I would very much appreciate it if you are willing to share the following information with my student, Tyson Cazier, at tysoncazier at gmail.com. If you don’t have time to write out a detailed answer, just a quick response to numbers 1 and 4 would still be very helpful.

1. What courses does your music school or department offer online? We’re particularly interested in core academic classes, including Fundamentals, but non-major, applied, and elective classes are also interesting.
2. Why are these courses offered online? Does this choice serve a curricular goal, such as allowing students to complete Fundamentals before arriving on campus?
3. Are these courses different from their in-person versions? If so, how?
4. Is there a music degree, certificate, or minor at your institution that can be earned solely or primarily online?

	Thank you in advance for your help!

Tim Chenette
Music Theory Area Head and Assistant Professor of Music
Utah State University