[Smt-talk] Looking for bad text settings

John Z McKay jmckay at mozart.sc.edu
Sat Aug 23 12:23:34 PDT 2014

Regarding examples from Handel's Messiah (of which there are quite a few),
I would note that some of the poor text-setting in the main choruses can be
partly blamed on the fact that Handel was actually "shoehorning" the
English text into earlier Italian aria tunes.  "All we like sheep" is
actually based on a movement from HWV 189, as is "For unto us a child is
born."  Note the latter also has bizarre text-setting: "FOR!!!..... unto us
a child is boo--orn" makes no sense as an English text-setting, but the
melody makes perfect prosodic sense for "No! [pause] di voi non vo'
fidarmi," which was the original text that melody was written for.

Handel can be rightly criticized for sometimes using bizarre accents in his
English settings, but many of the supposed Messiah examples are problematic
because of the recycling of melodies, which were not originally designed
for the English texts.  (See also "His yolk is easy" and "And He shall
purify," which are based on HWV 192.)

What's amazing is that Handel often made these melodies work as well as
they do for different texts in different languages each with unique general
accentual patterns.

John McKay

--
John Z. McKay, Ph.D.