[Smt-talk] Is "White Christmas" better than Mozart K570? It depends on the model ...

Giorgio Sanguinetti giorgio_sanguinetti at fastwebnet.it
Wed Dec 10 07:45:49 PST 2014

I often wondered why popular pieces are popular. Here is a short list:

1) J.S. Bach, toccata and fugue in D minor
2) Beethoven, Für Elise
3) Saint-Saens, The Swan
4) Mozart, K. 525
5) Beethoven, Moonlight sonata
6) Puccini, All’alba vincerò
……

For some of these pieces (BWV 565) there has been a discussion about authorship, for others we know for sure that their author was unhappy about their popularity (Moonlight). But, for sure, all of the above mentioned authors have written hundred of pages of much better music.

The problem is: why are they so persistently popular? I know that they have been used for movies, advertisements, TV series, and all. But then: why the media people picked out them? Or is there something inherent in them that make uneducated listeners sigh with joy when the hear “pahh- pah pahh- pah pah pah pah pah pahh” and say “oh, that’s Mozart”! Perhaps they touch a chord (!) in our collective memory, such as some deeply buried archetypes? I don’t know.

Giorgio Sanguinetti