[Smt-talk] Pop Music And Theory

Dr. Fred Bashour dufaydigital at att.net
Thu Dec 11 10:10:15 PST 2014

I like that: “making the collective unconscious conscious.”

I remember my dissertation advisor, Alejandro Planchart, back in New Haven during the early seventies, telling us how he “gave dissonant counterpoint lessons” to Frank Zappa.  I should ring him up and ask him to elaborate.  It certainly makes sense; I can’t imagine how scores as “difficult” as Zappa’s could have been written by a completely intuitive, “unschooled” composer, untouched by academia and music theory.

However, when I was first introduced to the “art stream/pop stream” dichotomy during an undergraduate music class in the late sixties (bundled with an obvious value judgment), it didn’t sit well with me then, and it still doesn’t.  Creativity is one thing; execution is something quite different.

Best,

Fred Bashour

Dufay Digital Music

Leverett, MA  01054