[Smt-talk] Realizing a figured bass in the curriculum

Devin Chaloux devin.chaloux at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 21:30:35 PST 2014

Greetings Brian and list,

I feel like this is a subject that comes up every once in a while with
those of us active on Twitter. My sentiments are similar to yours. In many
ways, I connected with figured bass quickly because I am a pianist.
However, after teaching figured bass for several years now, it seems to be
a laborious practice for many of our students (pianists and non-pianists
combined).

Questioning whether figured bass should continue to have a major role in
the undergraduate theory curriculum is absolutely fair. It brings up a slew
of other issues we should consider as we revise the curriculum:

-Is there reason to be teaching keyboard-centric models of theory?
-Does the time spent teaching/practicing figured bass justify itself vs.
using that time for other activities (say improvisation on one's own
instrument)?
-Are there other ways to approach melody harmonization in classical and
non-classical settings?

As I continue to think about these kinds of questions, I have shifted
towards a preference for less figured bass. And when (not if!) the
curriculum moves to incorporate more popular music styles, I am certain
that figured bass will be one of the first casualties of the core
curriculum. I imagine we'll still give it some attention, but any serious
study of figured bass may be relegated to a course in 18th-century
counterpoint.

Best,

*Devin Chaloux*
Indiana University
Ph.D. in Music Theory (enrolled)
University of Cincinnati - College-Conservatory of Music
M.M. in Music Theory '12
University of Connecticut
B.M. in Music Theory '10