[Smt-talk] Realizing a figured bass in the curriculum

Michaelsen, Garrett Garrett_Michaelsen at uml.edu
Mon Dec 15 06:32:15 PST 2014

During the SMT Improvisation Interest Group meeting last month, we had a great discussion about using improvisation in theory pedagogy. During that session, I had an idea for a theory curriculum that brings this thread on figured bass together with Tim Chennette’s thread on broadening the repertoire:

Imagine a theory curriculum based around improvisation that is rooted in historical performance practices. The first semester would consist of improvised vocal Renaissance polyphony à la Peter Schubert, which would get students singing and teach them fundamentals, intervals, and counterpoint. The second semester would shift to Baroque figured bass improvisation à la Max Guido and Mike Callahan, now emphasizing keyboard skills and chords. The third semester would cover 18th and 19th century schemata à la Giorgio Sanguinetti and Bob Gjerdingen, adding in issues of phrase structure and larger form. Finally, the fourth semester would deal with jazz and pop improvisation à la countless contemporary pedagogues, bringing in an expanded harmonic palette and modal/nonfunctional methods of pitch organization.

I think this curriculum would end up covering most of the typical topics of music theory, but imagine how much more rooted in students’ ears and fingers they would be.

Garrett Michaelsen
Lecturer in Musicianship and Musicology
University of Massachusetts, Lowell
garrett_michaelsen at uml.edu