[Smt-talk] Realizing a figured bass in the curriculum

Conor Cook conor.p.cook at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 06:47:32 PST 2014

What was (were) the model(s) for teaching musicianship, theory, and composition in previous centuries?  Were they more individualized, as instrument and voice lessons are now?  Or were there also large classes dedicated to the study of harmony and counterpoint, etc.?  If the former, when did this model shift to classroom instruction, and would theory be better served by a return to some manner of individualized instruction as the norm?

Best,

Conor Cook
Sacred Music
LaSalle Catholic Parishes
LaSalle, IL USA
MA Music Theory, University of Minnesota, 2014
MMus Composing for Film and TV, Kingston University London, 2010
BM Theory/Comp, St. Olaf College, 2009