[Smt-talk] theory of film music

kos at panix.com kos at panix.com
Wed Jul 2 21:06:07 PDT 2014

Hey folks,

I know lots of you are interested in "film music" although it almost never is
written about on SMT-TALK.

My recent perusal of the book "Music and Levels of Narration in Film: Steps
Across the Border" by Guido Heldt (Chicago: Intellect, 2013) reminded me of one
of my ongoing questions concerning film music studies, in that a noticeably large group
of writers take their cue from film studies and use narrativity as the basis for
understanding film music.

While understanding narrative is essential to understanding how music operates
in a film, I'm often disappointed in that I see no further dissection of the
music.  My own bias is empiricism:  I feel that--in general--the internal
evidence of the music can offer more insight into understanding music.  I see
this *rarely* discussed in film music - and when it is written about, it's
usually in the context of how to write music for films.  (I often imagine that,
because it's so difficult to get a film score, people have derived analytical
modes that consider the written score irrelevant.)

I see the above is purely musicological.  Beyond the narrativity movement, can
anyone point to writings that attempt to deal with film music as part of music
theory?

   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users