[Smt-talk] theory of film music

Leinberger, Charles F. charlesl at utep.edu
Thu Jul 3 08:45:34 PDT 2014

Bob,

Excellent observation.  Film musicology has much more in common with history and literature than it does with music theory.  We spend a great deal of time discussing events (technological, cultural, economic, political) leading up to the creation of a film score, and the subsequent influence of that score on other film composers, but little time if any on the score itself.  Rarely does this involve an analytical approach like what we do in theory.  As you accurately suggest, this has much to do with the lack of published or even archived film scores.  Also, every composer's music presents a different set of logistics.  Some are in archives, like the Warner Bros. Archive at USC.  Mary are not.

C.F.L.

Charles Francis Leinberger, Ph.D., Associate Professor.
 Department of Music, The University of Texas at El Paso.
 500 West University Avenue, El Paso TX 79968-0552 (U.S.A.)
 (915) 747-7800 Office  (915) 747-5023 Fax.
http://utminers.utep.edu/charlesl/
Please don't unnecessarily print email.