[Smt-talk] Brass Overtones

etanmoonstar at gmail.com etanmoonstar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 15:08:04 PDT 2014

I’m afraid that, as a trombonist as well as a theorist, I must chime in with a slight correction. Trombones, at least, are not in fact built to play in equal temperament. Every trombonist learns to make the slide adjustments necessary to play in tune with equally-tempered instruments; as would be expected by comparing just intonation to equal temperament, our 3rd/6th/etc. partials are naturally a bit high, our 5th and 10th partials are naturally low, and our 7th partial is so flat that first position is unusable in this partial. I am not trained enough on other brass instruments to speak regarding their natural tuning inclinations 100% from personal experience, but I do know that my trumpeter friends often make lip adjustments or adjust a small tubing extension with their little finger to play in tune. Whether brass instrument tuning justifies the derivation of western pitch collections, intervals, and particularly triads from the overtone series is, as evidenced by this particular thread of discussion, a separate matter entirely.

Nathan Baker

Music Theory Coordinator

Chair, Faculty Senate

Casper College, Wyoming