[Smt-talk] Narrative/analysis (was theory of film music)

Ildar Khannanov etudetableau at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 19:24:19 PDT 2014

Dear Nicolas,

thank you for the quotations from Husserl. The two short fragments are,
unfortunately, not enough to make a picture of the philosophical concept.
The point that Husserl is making in this text is the same as he and
Heidegger never tired to promote. They fought against onto-teleology. Why?
The format of a blog will not allow to engage in this discussion. This is
the history of the so-called continental philosophy.

So, in a nut shell, phenomenology denies goal-setting (teleology) that
comes from outside of the phenomenon. These things must be eradicated
(reduced, deconstructed). In the text that you quoted Husserl argues
against Meinong's understanding of melody as a process that is oriented
toward its end (typical, unfortunately, for most of music theory until
nowadays).

Transformation in Lewin's terms--a pure mathematical procedure--is
onto-teleological in essence. A set A is transformed into set B by means of
preestablished operation. B predetermines the A (just as your I
predetermines the V). Such transformation requires an external point of
reference, the eye of the viewer, the point of view, the control tower.
This process does not describe inner time perception, it reproduces it
(makes a copy of it). A complete misunderstanding of phenomenology, if
there has been an attempt to adopt it! That is why, I believe, Brian Kane
places Lewin's "phenomenology" in brackets.

Mathematical model of transformation should be placed in brackets (epoche,
in Husserlian terms). Only then the intuitive grasp of inner time as a
continuity of a flux will be possible.

Sorry for a plug, but there is a discussion of this fragment in my chapter
in recently published book Sounding the Virtual: Gilles Deleuze and the
Theory and Philosophy of Music.  I would be honored to know your opinion.

As for structuralism, this question is not for me to clarify. I can only
say that it is not Saussure's invention at all. Common knowledge suggests
that major structuralists were Roman Jakobson and Claude Levi-Strauss. And,
yes, as Michael mentioned, Anglo-Saxon formalism and  Continental semiotics
are not the same.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute