[Smt-talk] You say structure I say structuralism lets

Conor Cook conor.p.cook at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 13:55:04 PDT 2014

It sounds as if this is related to the four causes: material, efficient,
formal, and final.  If I understand correctly, structure lies in the formal
cause, where the shape (formal cause) of the work is thus an ordering of
sonic elements (e.g. commands or suggestions for the production of sound;
material cause) made by a musician/composer/player/etc. (efficient cause)
for the purpose of creating music (possibly for a further purpose; final
cause).  The study of structure would take on the form of examining a means
of making sense of that shape, possibly postulating on the intention(s) of
the "composer," ultimately in order to situate the structural understanding
within the context of the whole set of causes.

For a gratuitous example, Jerry Goldsmith's sequence within *The Sum of All
Fears*, named on the album "That Went Well," (http://youtu.be/AcmU_yUD750).
 The basic structure begins with the unmetered evocation of that
ever-so-common generic Hollywood "ethnicity," followed by a distinctly
Russian (in Hollywood intention) melody, which within itself moves from
orchestration implying less-groundedness to firm-assuredness in its bass
pedal.  This is followed by more of the unstructured "ethnicity," that
gives way to a dry string motive that derives from the opening of the film,
followed by a low grumble of the Russian material.  This is of course a
blow-by-blow description of a piece whose form is constructed in service of
a fixed structure (the film).  Yet, understanding the progression of the
piece, as listened to by a film score enthusiast, provides a means into
examining this part of Goldsmith's contribution to the film score genre.

It is even possible to consider the composer's (efficient cause) intentions
in this matter, beyond the obvious need to accompany the film.  His music
is by its own merits expressive, an expression obviously tied to the scene,
but nevertheless independent, by simple virtue of the fact that it exists
on its own (through the mediation of part of the material cause, the album
and all that it entails).  Whether or not Goldsmith's intentions are
regarded, the music exists with its own internal structure (not the direct
final cause, but an element of it).

Of course, these thoughts do not in fact explore the expression to which I
allude, I think it is entirely possible to explore film music in this
manner.  The problem that I have been having with this thought process,
however, is exactly what I am trying to find.  Is there any reason that a
study of this nature could be self-sustaining, or must we be seeking some
further purpose for the investigation of the independent structure of film
music?

Thanks,

Conor Cook
Music Director