[Smt-talk] You say structure I say structuralism lets

Ildar Khannanov etudetableau at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 21:31:35 PDT 2014

Dear Conor,

this is even better! Aristotle allows for the fourth cause--an homage to
Plato. In terms of our discussion, that would be the transcendental meaning
of a musical work. A composer always aims at such meaning. The question is,
should we, theorists, do the same? I agree with Murray that it is
uneconomical. It takes most of time and energy to analyze the score and we
often delegate the rest to the listener. However, the listener, after
reading our texts (if he or she manages to pull through professional
jargon) often fails to connect them to the musical meanings.

I, sometimes, brave into this territory (knowing that colleagues will not
tolerate it). E.g., the Barber's Adagio starts with the material
cause--elements of common practice, including the 4-3 suspension. Composer
applies the active cause; he rearranges it so that the suspension becomes
endlessly suspended (an anomaly for the common practice). This generates a
new form (formal cause). That form radiates light of polysemy, all kinds of
sensations, feelings, thoughts. One possible transcendental meaning of this
music I acutely sensed when visited Oklahoma National Memorial. I went
there; the Adagio was playing softly.   There is a black granite slab the
size of the building and a thin layer of water on the top. In a dusty
atmosphere of the Oki it looks like a huge eye staring into the skies. It
is covered by tears. Normally, tears come and go, they dry quickly. Here,
the tears flow and never dry. The suspended suspension in the theme of the
Adagio, for my ears, resonates with the never-drying tears.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
etudetableau at gmail.com

P.S. I liked the photo of you holding the two manifestations of the final
cause!