[Smt-talk] You say structure I say structuralism lets

Mark Ansoncartwright Mark.Ansoncartwright at qc.cuny.edu
Mon Jul 14 16:12:53 PDT 2014

Dear Ildar,

I was interested to read your quotation from Zeno’s fragments, which I did not know before. I took the trouble to look up the Greek online and to check another translation, that by C.D. Yonge.

In your quotation/transliteration of the Greek, you left out a couple of important vowels: "poiun" should be "poioun," while “apoioun” (“unmade”) is actually “apoion” (“without quality”). Also, the accusative words

“hulen” (“clay” or “matter”) and “theon” (“god” or “God”) should be rendered in apposition to the words “ousian” ("existence") and “logon” ("reason"), respectively. At least, the rendering by Yonge would suggest that’s how the accusative (NOT genitive, as your suggest) functions here.

Here is the corrected Greek (transliterated), followed by Yonge’s translation.

Dokei d'autois arkhas einai ton holon duo: to poioun kai to paskhon. to men oun paskhon einai apoion ousian ten hulen, to de poioun ton en aute logon ton theon.
Source: Stoicorum veterum fragmenta, ed. H. von Arnim, p. 24 (available at archive.org).

Translation:

They think that there are two general principles in the universe, the active and the passive That the passive is matter, an existence without any distinctive quality. That the active is the reason which exists in the passive, that is to say, God.

Source: Diogenes Laërtius, The Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers, trans. C.D. Yonge (London: George Bell & Sons, 1895) Public Domain.

Thanks for stimulating us with some ancient writings.

Mark

Mark Anson-Cartwright
Queens College and Graduate Center, CUNY