[Smt-talk] The Ubiquitous Triad - The Ubiquitous Note

Isaac Malitz imalitz at omsmodel.com
Sun Jul 20 08:34:37 PDT 2014

I realize that composers and performers often have to think about music
in terms of "notes", this can't be avoided.

However, let's take the point-of-view of the listener, the analyst, the
scientist (the scientist of music)  [these are not identical points of
view, but they have a certain amount in common]
 From that point of view: Why the focus on "notes"?
I.e., let's rewrite Carson Farley as follows:

   "Just as physics moved in modernity into the new realms, so must
music.  A NOTE is in many ways a relic of the past no longer relevant to
contemporary science/practice unless of course the desired result is
traditional sound/music."

Here's an example to consider: Renee Fleming singing O Mio Babbino Caro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU3bJ5JJhlw

An analysis of the notes in the score will not reveal very much about
this performance.
One could of course try to say that "it is what she does with the notes"
that explains the performance.
But a more direct explanation would use terms such as: Voice, breath,
words, color, phrase, emotion, ambiance, space, time, communication,
warmth, ...
    (Those terms could be broken down into more analytical detail, but
might as well start with the obvious)
The harmony, orchestration, melody (factors that can be discerned in the
score) have some role in the overall effect. 20% ? 30% ?

The idea of a "note" is an abstraction, a simplification about music.
This simplification has value, but it misses a lot.

I think there is an unspoken assumption that "People hear music as
notes. And then mentally, inside their big-brain-computer, they
construct 'music' from the note-sequences that they hear"

Here's an alternative view "People hear music in very complex ways, a
mixture of experiences, some of which are quite primitive. A
somewhat-organized delirium of experience (ref: Boulez). At times,
*some* people will hear *individual notes* within this delirium, or they
will abstract some notes from the immediate experience. These notes are
often somewhat different from what was actually performed."

In summary, I like Carson Farley's comment as far as it goes, but it is
not radical enough.

-- Isaac Malitz
    imalitz at omsmodel.com
    818-231-3965