[Smt-talk] The Ubiquitous Triad

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Sun Jul 20 11:46:06 PDT 2014

It is not true that "a vibrating string produces overtones in the lower
partials of a major triad, then a dominant 7th". Supposing that the
string is of constant diameter and density along its length (which
requires quite a lot of technicity in its making), the partials produced
are: 8ve; 12th; 15th; 17th; 19th; then a note about a quarter tone lower
that what we would describe as the 21th (or a quarter tone higher than
the 20th), etc. This may be considered to correspond to the major triad
and, in approximation, to the dominant 7th, but this correspondence is
far from obvious. (Many of you may have had to count on their fingers
what a 19th could be.)

It is troubling, in addition, that the realization of the existence of
the overtones came roughly a century later than the date Victor Grauer
mentioned in a previous message for the apparition of triads... The
story of Pythagoras and the blacksmith shop is a myth – and a joke – as
is the medieval idea that the pitch of bells is dependent on their
weight. Even in the late 19th century, it was considered (e.g. by
Helmholtz and his translator Ellis) that the overtones could not
normally be heard.

If there is a physical law behind all this, it is that of consonance. It
produced: the major triad, but also the minor one; harmony; to some
extent tonality. But the conditions of the law of consonance are so
strict (mainly, pitch stability) that they require a technicity that has
been developed only in the Western world – precisely because that is
where the question of consonance has been considered of paramount
importance.

Hindemith's and other 20th-century composers' phantasms concerning the
overtones have proved quite fruitful, but that doesn't turn them into
physical laws. The diatonic scale can be described, with some
approximation, as formed of two intertwined dominant 7ths; it could also
be described (with roughly the same approximation) as corresponding the
16th first partials of a fundamental which may or may not be the 'tonic'
of the scale (Momigny, unless I am mistaken, considered that the major
scale corresponded to the overtones of its dominant).

Tonal music does to some extent rely on triads (not necessarily major,
nor triads exclusively); it involves many other aspects, for instance in
its syntax. But "traditional music" is something else: music can be made
in an endless variety of combinations, not necessarily including
consonance, nor the diatonic scale, as important categories.

Nicolas Meeùs
Professeur émérite
Université Paris-Sorbonne