[Smt-talk] The Ubiquitous Triad

Ildar Khannanov etudetableau at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:51:13 PDT 2014

Dear Victor,

an interesting statement, about the overtone series. I have been a
collaborative pianist for the voice studio for many years. The voice
teacher was trying to get the resonance from his students. His most vivid
example was that when dogs are barking they take the position, similar to
the singers. You cannot hear a dog barking without the natural overtone
series. And Pythagoras could not hear anything if the hammers were not
capable of creating the resonance harmonics. Playing classical piano is all
about manipulating natural overtone series, without which performances of
music of Chopin and Rachmaninoff are impossible. The touchee is, in fact,
the method of manipulating the beginning of the sound in order to emphasize
the harmonics that resonate. The fact is, that our speaking voice and many
sources of sound are too dull to make music. Their frequencies lie within
300-500 Hertz, while the resonance pitch of most building materials is
around 3000 Hertz. A shepherd in Bashkirian village, in remote areas of
Urals, knows that in order to call his sheep he has to stand up and
generate the sound that emphasizes its resonant aspects. Cremona masters
have created the mystery of violin; it was the work with the natural
overtone series. They did not record the frequencies and did not realized
the overtone series as a scientific object; this does not mean, however,
that they did not sense its effects in their daily musical activities.

Triad is a byproduct of this activity. t is a byproduct of the Perfect
Fifth. Of course, music was based on it until WWII. Now, you are probably
writing computer music. It is cool, but it does not provide the evidence
for your statement.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute