[Smt-talk] Cm/C—x/Bb—x/Ab—C/G

Osborn Brad bradthomasosborn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 06:35:17 PDT 2014

Dear list,

I’m writing about a rock song with a peculiar progression, transpositionally equivalent to...

Cm/C—x/Bb—x/Ab—C/G

...wherein a root-position minor triad is exchanged for its parallel major in 6/4 position, arrived at through a stepwise descent of the upper natural minor tetrachord.

I’m having trouble finding a common-practice example of this progression, and would be indebted to anybody who might know of one.

For further clarification: the middle two bass notes (te and le) can be harmonized in any way (even as unharmonized passing tones); the final chord can be either a product of non-functional mixture or a secondary dominant of IV; and any tempo will do.

Many thanks,
Brad

Brad Osborn, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music Theory