[Smt-talk] Cm/C—x/Bb—x/Ab—C/G

Walter Everett weverett at umich.edu
Mon Jun 2 13:01:42 PDT 2014

I think this is what you're looking for, Brad: the chorus of Robert
Knight's "Everlasting Love" (1967)?  See 1:34 - 1:40 at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfsIE85JtIQ
I'll let you know if I come across others. --walt everett

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Osborn Brad <bradthomasosborn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I’m writing about a rock song with a peculiar progression,
> transpositionally equivalent to...
>
> Cm/C—x/Bb—x/Ab—C/G
>
> ...wherein a root-position minor triad is exchanged for its parallel major
> in 6/4 position, arrived at through a stepwise descent of the upper natural
> minor tetrachord.
>
> I’m having trouble finding a common-practice example of this progression,
> and would be indebted to anybody who might know of one.
>
> For further clarification: the middle two bass notes (*te* and *le*) can
> be harmonized in any way (even as unharmonized passing tones); the final
> chord can be either a product of non-functional mixture or a secondary
> dominant of IV; and any tempo will do.
>
> Many thanks,
> Brad
>
> Brad Osborn, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor of Music Theory
> University of Kansas School of Music
> bradthomasosborn at gmail.com
> KU Faculty Profile <http://music.ku.edu/brad-osborn>

*Walter Everett*
*Professor of Music*
*Department of Music Theory*
*The University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance*
*1100 Baits Dr.*
*Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2085*

*weverett at umich.edu <weverett at umich.edu>*
*voice: 734-763-2039*