[Smt-talk] G Flat Major Repertoire

Jonathan Elkus jbelkus at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 6 11:34:16 PDT 2014

Dear All,

In a previous post a colleague broached the subtopic of the F#-Gb
enharmonic, though I'm afraid I no longer have that email. But I do want
to point out the enharmonic shift at mm. 76-77 of _Nuages_. I feel sure
that Debussy notated the passage in this way for its subtle shift of
pitch-color, rather than as a grammatical avoidance of F##. Going
further, it might prove an interesting experience to hear the orchestral
strings accompany the hapless Cio Cio San in F# rather than Gb.

In all, a fascinating discussion.

Jonathan Elkus
Lecturer Emeritus, UC Davis
jbelkus at ucdavis.edu

On 6/5/14 6:26 PM, Stephen Jablonsky wrote:
> The recently produced list of instrumental music in F# major was such
> a success that I promised myself that as soon as school was finished I
> would see about its enharmonic equivalent. Here is what I have come up
> with so far. With your help we can produce a more definitive list.
> That inlcudes the anonymous members of our society as well. They can
> write me a personal note that I promise not to share with the Theory
> Police.
>
> Once again I apologize to lovers of vocal music. They are welcome to
> make their own list.
>
> Albeniz 	Piano Sonata No. 5, Op. 82
> Chopin 	Contredanse (1827)
> Chopin 	Etude, Op. 10, No. 5