[Smt-talk] "inversions"

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Tue Mar 18 23:01:54 PDT 2014

> My question: Is there a technical term for different voicings of  
> the right hand?  I realize I can't retrain the piano teachers of  
> the world to use a different term.  But does something like "first  
> voicing," "second voicing" exist?

A good question. I also have wondered how to express these in English.

I teach in two languages, Finnish and English. In Finnish, I can use  
terms that literally translate to "octave-position," "third-position"  
and "fifth-position" in English, to identify the tone of the soprano.  
I suspect that similar expressions are used in other languages.  
However, these don't seem to work in English (partly because interval  
names are the same as normal ordinary numbers).

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
University of the Arts, Helsinki
ovaisala at siba.fi

More information about the Smt-talk mailing list