[Smt-talk] "inversions"

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 14:53:57 PDT 2014

Dear Olli,

the same in Russian terminology: "in position of the prime, in position of the tertia and in position of the quinta." And, yes, the words from another language (Latin) are used in order not to confuse students. In the very beginning (in early chapters of Sposobin's and other textbook) a student has to analyze the function of the chord, its spacing and, necessarily, the "position" (i.e., what is in soprano). There is also a discussion of how this "position" changes the expressive quality of a chord.

So, there are two terminological clarifications: transformational (obrascheniye vs. peremescheniye) and essential (position in soprano).


Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:50 AM, Olli Väisälä <ovaisala at siba.fi> wrote:
> My question: Is there a technical term for different voicings of  
> the right hand?  I realize I can't retrain the piano teachers of  
> the world to use a different term.  But does something like "first  
> voicing," "second voicing" exist?

A good question. I also have wondered how to express these in English.

I teach in two languages, Finnish and English. In Finnish, I can use  
terms that literally translate to "octave-position," "third-position"  
and "fifth-position" in English, to identify the tone of the soprano.  
I suspect that similar expressions are used in other languages.  
However, these don't seem to work in English (partly because interval  
names are the same as normal ordinary numbers).

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
University of the Arts, Helsinki
ovaisala at siba.fi

Smt-talk mailing list
Smt-talk at lists.societymusictheory.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.societymusictheory.org/pipermail/smt-talk-societymusictheory.org/attachments/20140319/a2eb3a66/attachment-0004.htm>

More information about the Smt-talk mailing list