[Smt-talk] "inversions"

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Wed Mar 19 19:50:39 PDT 2014

Nicolas, this disposition is normal for "keyboard" style (often used in American keyboard harmony classes-- something to which I alluded in my remarks). See, for ex Aldwell/Schachter, pp 97-8 (4th ed). As I also said,
Boulanger urged her students to play two voices per hand, not only to create a more open texture, but also to foster contrapuntal thinking/hearing. She insisted that harmony exercises be written in and played from four clefs (three C and one F), so that each voice becomes a line in its proper register. Of course, the soprano and bass voices are the most important/noticeable. But often the three upper lines, if well written, can be inverted.

Donna Doyle