[Smt-talk] "inversions"

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Thu Mar 20 00:39:18 PDT 2014

Yes, Donna, I know. Writing in four clefs was indeed standard in the
Paris Conservatoire and so did we in Brussels. [I may admit now that we
usually wrote on a grand staff (piano staves) and copied in four clefs
before going to class.] Boulanger's teaching of harmony appears in many
ways to have duplicated that of the Paris Conservatoire.

The question of the distribution of the voices between the hands (and
the staves) also is of some importance for the "first reduction"in the
teaching of Schenkerian analysis. As you certainly know, Forte & Gilbert
usually chose for a choral-style writing in what they called "rhythmic
notation", two voices on each of the two staves and in each of the two
hands. Cadwallader & Gagné, on the contrary, advocate a continuo-style
writing, three voices in the upper staff and in the right hand; they
oddly call it the "imaginary continuo".
     In my class in the Sorbonne, I privileged choral style, while my
younger colleague Luciane Beduschi advocated continuo style. We
therefore decided to shortly discuss the matter and leave it open in the
written text of our course. We show for instance that while the modern
Breitkopf edition of Bach's chorales is in "choral style" notation (it
defines the style, as a matter of fact), the original Birnstiel edition
of 1765 evidenced some hesitation between the two, writing at times tree
parts in the upper staff (in C1 clef, which made it easier). Czerny's
rewriting of Chopin's Étude op. 10 n. 1 in his /School of Practical
Composition/ of 1848 is closer to the continuo style, but probably
because he keeps the distribution of the original, with the bass in
octaves in the left hand. (See also Kofi Agawu in /Music Analysis/ 8/3.)

Continuo writing places the tenor in a more visible position. Yet it
seems to me an aberration to consider it of any importance for the
inversion of the chord. As you say, well written upper lines can be
inverted. Yet the Parisian practice of the /chant donné/ (soprano given)
prevented us to do so at least for the upper part.

Nicolas Meeùs