[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Nicholas Reyland n.w.reyland at keele.ac.uk
Thu May 1 02:13:01 PDT 2014

Colleagues:

The absence of a 'sidebar of shame¹ in my browser window suggests I¹m not
accidentally surfing the below-the-line comments on a Daily Mail* editorial
but, surprisingly, a thread on SMT-Talk.

The last 50 years did just happen, right?

Regards

Nick Reyland

* The Daily Mail, for those who have avoided it thus far, is a right-wing
British newspaper with a loathing of politically correct language. Online,
its 'sidebar of shame¹ often floats to the right of content decrying
'political correctness gone mad' in matters of sexual discrimination etc.;
it features pornographized illustrated links to features about lingerie,
beach bodies and post-pregnancy diets.

Dr Nicholas Reyland
Senior Lecturer
Music & Film Studies
Keele University

n.w.reyland at keele.ac.uk
www.keele.ac.uk/music/people/nicholasreyland
T: +44 (0)1782 733297
Music, The Clock House, Keele University, ST5 5BG, UK