[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Conor Cook conor.p.cook at gmail.com
Thu May 1 06:30:02 PDT 2014

It seems I was operating on a mistaken assumption.  As the conversation
veered toward the discussion of cadences, I left behind the original
progression topic in my thoughts.  Inadvertently I added to an argument
that many still considered to include that inappropriate nomenclature.  The
depth of the wound that even the more traditional cadential metaphors
inflict is greater than I realized.  I am truly sorry.  Though I should
have, I did not know that a topic such as this would evoke such strong
personal emotion, and I was irresponsible to add my thoughts before such
necessary consideration.  I did not heed SMT-talk's third guideline:

3.  Posts of a controversial nature are always welcome. The author of the
post should be sensitive, however, to the interests and work of other list
members whose work may be the subject of controversy.

I was not sensitive to others' experiences.  As Laurence Willis observed, I
was lost.  Please forgive me.

Sincerely,
Conor Cook
Masters Student