[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Thu May 1 07:05:22 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for your input. I also received privately some letters of agreement and some of criticism (and beyond).

I would like to kindly reassure those who feel personally offended by my reflections, that Armageddon is not here yet - I simply expressed my opinion. If, for some colleagues, democracy meant uniform thinking and fear of expressing one's opinion on something invaluable like literary language, I can only regret.

If some are ready to openly denounce thousands of contemporary writers and authors (some of them being Nobel prize laureates) for personally offending the wonderful female community, I would be impressed. Until then, I will continue to think that technical restrictions and cyclical turns undermine the fluency of thought, and are a result of an imposed political line in the world of creativity and original thinking. This world in question has nothing to do with discrimination, and no one shall be condemned for preferring this style of writing. For one, my wife does not condemn me (:).

Finally, and very seriously. If some are ready to edit the bible and purge it from mentioning slavery, hinting that woman is inferior to man, and all other kinds of discrimination (as they are conspicuously present there!) I would be the first to congratulate this man or woman! I cannot imagine how a religious person who has subscribed to the so-called "non sexist language" puts up with a Gospel which spreads discrimination on almost every page!
There is no joke here - I would like to see such a bible one day.

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music