[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Jennifer Bain Jennifer.Bain at Dal.Ca
Thu May 1 09:31:47 PDT 2014

Dear Dimitar,

I think you have entirely missed the point of the majority of the comments
that have already been posted in relation to this thread.

I am not suggesting--nor did I or anyone else suggest--that historical
literary works be purged of sexism; that would be like painting clothing
on all of the nudes in national galleries around the world.

What I thought we were talking about is: whether or not certain terms or
use of language is (and was) sexist, and what we should do about current
usage. In my first post I mentioned 1991: that was the year that Susan
McClary published her landmark book, Feminine Endings. Her work followed
decades of literature on relationships between gender, language, and, yes,
sexism, and it was that same literature that had prompted the Society for
Music Theory one year earlier in 1990 to adopt its statement on inclusive
language, published for the first time in the note to contributors in the
spring issue of that year. The astonishment that I conveyed in a later
post was that so many contributors to the list were seemingly completely
ignorant of this literature and yet thought it appropriate to post
unsubstantiated opinions on the topic to an academic list-serve.

My statement about being "offended" seems to have triggered the whole
issue about people getting "emotional". I can assure you all that I was
neither in hysterics nor in a puddle of tears when I made that statement,
and in fact the statement did not stem at all from a physiological
response to annoying posts on the list. I was engaging with Dimitar's line
of argument: he stated that it was ok to use sexist language because it
didn't actually bother anyone. I wanted to communicate that this wasn't a
good line of argument because actually it does bother at least one person.

Jennifer

Jennifer Bain, Ph.D.
Chair, Dept. of Music

bainj at dal.ca