[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Peter Purin peterpurin at gmail.com
Thu May 1 10:43:26 PDT 2014

Dr. Ninov wrote" "Finally, and very seriously. If some are ready to edit the bible and purge it from mentioning slavery, hinting that woman is inferior to man, and all other kinds of discrimination (as they are conspicuously present there!) I would be the first to congratulate this man or woman! I cannot imagine how a religious person who has subscribed to the so-called "non sexist language" puts up with a Gospel which spreads discrimination on almost every page!
There is no joke here - I would like to see such a bible one day."

For the following response, I know people may disagree, and my intention is not to start yet another long discussion (pertaining to religious texts or anything else), but I think it should be known that Dr. Ninov's position is not universal among this community.

I find it disheartening that a discussion of non-sexist language ultimately ends up with this attack on the Bible and the Gospel of Jesus Christ (i.e. love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself). A close reading, in fact, illuminates that, "27For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise." (Galatians 3:27-29). The distinction comes about in the roles of each sex, which is ultimately about serving each other: self-sacrificing and empowering for all. As a person of faith, the Gospel is what encourages me to make decisions to love and respect all people, which ultimately finds incarnation in my research, composition, pedagogy, and performance. I desire to treat each of you, my colleagues, with respect because of what God has done for me. Sometime I fail, because I am merely a person, but know that this "religious person" embraces THE Gospel of a God who deeply loves and desires a relationship with each one of us.

Dr. Peter Purin
peter.purin at okbu.edu
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Coordinator of Music Technology