[Smt-talk] Reponse To Jeff Perry

CARSON FARLEY ccfarley at embarqmail.com
Thu May 1 17:19:39 PDT 2014

Mr. Perry,

Are you saying that the topic of musical theory is a closed society only for professors that teach music theory at universities and that the SMT discussion group should exclude other professional musicians and thinkers? (who studied musical theory as a fundamental element for their musicianship). That composers, instrumentalists, singers, historians, therapists, etc., should be excluded because we are not professional theorists? I might remind you that the works you analyse are by composers. I find your exclusionary tone quite small minded in that you feel you need to keep other musicians out of the group so that you're opinions alone contribute to the discussion of "what musical theory is or isn't." I am a classically trained cellist and composer who has not only been interested in musical theory my entire life, but have studied it my entire life and still passionate about it. Just because I don't have a PhD. doesn't mean that I haven't read as many books as you have, or that I have not earned my living as professional musician/composer/teacher. I'm happy to see that other very prominent members of this group do not concur with you. As Schoenberg said, "I learn what I don't know from my students" and a little humility on your part might allow you to learn what you don't already know.

Carson Farley
Cellist/composer/theorist
University of Washington Alumni