[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Stephen Soderberg hyperchord at me.com
Mon May 5 06:35:43 PDT 2014

While I fully understand this was brought up as a pedagogical practices issue, I can't help but point out that there is an important (but apparently unexamined) underlying issue here.

Why would anyone want to make Freshman theory ++more++ explicitly piano-centered?? At the college/university level, why would one want to focus ever more on the "usual diatonic" as a sine qua non model and reference point for a student's future creative efforts and studies in music? (Certainly the answer isn't "We've always done it that way.") I assume that undergrad music programs still have a "keyboard requirement" - but even if not, is a theory course, which ideally ought to be fully "branchable" as in Freshman physics, the place to require it?

This appears to be a praxis-theoria rock-and-a-hard-place problem with no easy solution. On the one hand, I certainly recognize the pragmatic/survival need for most of my colleagues and their students to make theory relevant to the "real world." On the other hand, to continue to maintain the "usual keyboard" in its various guises as the center of music's pedagogic universe is circular and has, to me, the odor of bias about it.

Stephen Soderberg
Keswick, VA