[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Trevor de Clercq trevor.declercq at gmail.com
Mon May 5 06:14:52 PDT 2014

Seth,

The department in which I work has required and continues to require that musicianship students purchase their own keyboards.  (We have about 100 students per semester in the "Theory 1" course.)  The main issue for our students, though, is that the ideal keyboard would be portable, have MIDI I/O, internal sounds, more than 32 full-sized keys, be no more than $100, and run on USB or battery power.  But, alas, no such keyboard exists.  Most of my students buy a 49- or 61-key keyboard controller (around $100) and use the sounds that come with the bundled or free software (Ableton Live Lite, Garage Band, Ignite, etc.).

Mike Callahan has some great experience with incorporating keyboards into the theory curriculum.  If he hasn't contacted you, I'd recommend contacting him.

Best,
Trevor de Clercq, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Recording Industry