[Smt-talk] Fwd: Keyboards for theory classes?

Richard Nelson rxn12 at cim.edu
Mon May 5 12:05:23 PDT 2014

At the Cleveland Institute, 25% of the two-year core theory curriculum is
keyboard harmony, which is closely intertwined with written theory and
aural training.  We find that the other areas of study are positively
impacted due to cognitive, aural, visual, and tactile connections.
Students perform individually in class (figured bass, chorale melody
harmonizations, improvised modulations, etc.) 2-3 times per week, and there
are 3 or 4 Steinways (grands and uprights) in each classroom to facilitate
this.

Students practice keyboard harmony in practice rooms, studios, and in our
piano lab when it is not in use for classes.  Some students, on their own,
purchase electric keyboards for their convenience, but this is not a
requirement.

We use our own in-house materials for keyboard harmony which are closely
connected to studies in written theory and aural training.

--
Rick Nelson
Cleveland Institute of Music