[Smt-talk] Fwd: Keyboards for theory classes?

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Mon May 5 17:41:47 PDT 2014

How right you are, Stephen. Coordinating the mind, hands and ears is the student's biggest challenge. I require them to speak the chord IDs as they play (Campion's Regle memorized, in several keys, both modes, for ex). I also forbid them from looking at their hands, but at the keyboard on the screen of their imagination. They cry and carry on at first, but after a few weeks come through and end up playing with fluency and assurance.

Donna Doyle

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Aaron Copeland School of Music
Queens College