[Smt-talk] Fwd: Keyboards for theory classes?

Roger Graybill Roger.Graybill at necmusic.edu
Sun May 11 03:17:50 PDT 2014

I want to follow up on Rick Nelson’s posting about the role of keyboard at Cleveland Institute.  I visited CIM in February for a week as part of my sabbatical leave, and what they have achieved there is very impressive.  By the fourth semester, virtually all the students are able to perform the kinds of exercises Rick mentioned---figured bass, chorale melody harmonization, and even improvised modulations.   Of course the level of ability differs from student to student, but overall the bar is remarkably high.

I should also emphasize that the CIM students perform these in the “lecture” classes with the main instructor, not for a lab.  Keyboard is treated as an integral part of the curriculum, and students take it seriously.

My overall interpretation of the CIM program is that their theory training is not merely reinforced by keyboard, but is actually rooted in the keyboard experience in some fundamental way.  That’s actually a profound difference.

Roger Graybill

Dr. Roger Graybill
Faculty, Music Theory Department
New England Conservatory