[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Zachary Cairns zacharycairns at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:06:29 PDT 2014

>Guitarists are just ahead of drummers in their inability to comfortably
deal with the challenges of traditional music theory. There is no way
around it—you have to have keyboard chops

I understand that this is tongue-in-cheek, but as a former teenage
percussionist/metal-guitarist-wannabe, I can say from experience that there
*is* a way around it. I recall class after class of my undergrad theory
experience thinking, "Oh, *that's* what Yngwie/Vai/Satriani was doing..."

Best,
Zac

Zachary Cairns, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music Theory