[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Mon May 5 20:26:12 PDT 2014

It is all about terrain. Depending on what instrument you play, your understanding of harmony comes from the field in which you play. Guitarists have a terrain that involves six strings tuned in a strangely wonderful way, bass players have four strings tuned in fourths, trumpet players go up and down on three pistons, and piano players have that field of blacks and whites. Jazz and rock drummers play no pitches and travel through a time continuum bathed in harmony coming from the nearby amps.

Many guitarists have difficulty converting from tablature to piano notation. A few of them succeed and become college professors of Schenkerian analysis or post-tonal note counting for reasons no one can explain!

Dr. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
Shepard Hall Room 72