[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Jonathan Santore jsantore at mail.plymouth.edu
Tue May 6 06:36:42 PDT 2014

Stephen's comment about "terrain" reminded me of the most difficult pedagogical challenge I ever faced -- when I was in grad school, I was asked to help a "native" harpist -- one whose only contact with music performance had been on a chromatic pedal harp -- with basic theory concepts. This student had no concept of, for example, Db-F# being a "larger" third than D-F -- for this student, accidentals were merely markers for setting pedals correctly, rather than having any effect on the distance between notes.

I don't think that using a keyboard is a sign that we're trying to turn all musicians into keyboardists -- it's a fast, relatively compact way to foster an association between distances in frequency and physical distances, one which happens more effectively in some non-keyboard performance situations than in others.

Jonathan Santore
Plymouth State University (NH)