[Smt-talk] John Cage

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Wed May 7 22:16:25 PDT 2014

CARSON FARLEY kirjoitti 8.5.2014 kello 4.48:
> As a composer interested in new directions in composition, John
> Cage is an important influence for two reasons - he introduced
> micro-tonality into the language of Western music with his prepared
> piano works [snip]

???

Didn't composers like Juan Carillo, Alois Haba and Ivan
Wyschnegradsky write microtonal works much before Cage (and, as far
as I know, before Partch, whom Farley also mentions)?

Or do I misunderstand the English meaning of "introduce"?

Olli Väisälä
ovaisala at siba.fi
Sibelius Academy
University of the Arts, Helsinki