[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

nancygarniez at tonalrefraction.com nancygarniez at tonalrefraction.com
Thu May 8 06:58:07 PDT 2014

As a pianist who has spent many years studying the difference between a pianist's notion of the sound of the instrument and its abstracted use as the provider of pitch in theory class, I give an example of what is involved.

Beethoven's "Spring" Sonata came up in a recent casual chat with a dear friend and theorist/composer colleague. He mentioned the incredible modulation in the slow movement. The moment he pronounced F#minor (which he described as "really" G-flat minor) I pronounced D major.

The difference in our experience is that I hear the minor measure, spelled as it is to give the violin its A, as a pivot between piano heaven (all black keys) and violin heaven (D major). It is not simple for instrumentalists to process such transitions (of which there are many) acoustically after having learned about pitch relationships without the resonance factor.

Use electronic keyboards, by all means. It is more honest than letting on that a piano is a piano.

Nancy Garniez
Mannes College The New School for Music
Extension and Preparatory Divisions

http://nancygarniez.blogspot.com