[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 08:45:12 PDT 2014

Dear Professor Schubert and the List,

I would like to side with Professor Schubert. If someone cannot play piano and yet teaches music theory--it is a special condition, pertinent to this or that teacher. It would be an unthinkable act of voluntarism if "we the society for music theory" decide to issue a bill that bans piano from the class in music theory. Could we agree to disagree and leave this issue without the final solution?

And the solution depends on situation in the classroom. What if your classroom is filled with pianists, winners of international competitions? Will you propose the idea that teaching harmony with keyboard is "skewed," or that "chords are bad"?

In the classroom like that a teacher constantly feels challenged by the students, in a good way. Of course, if a teacher, at the end of a graduate seminar on Schumann, gives his students a performance of complete op. 16 the questions concerning his or her knowledge of this music disappear. The moment a teacher presses the play button CD player or clicks on Youtube video he or she looses credibility of his or her students.

We have received a great musical-theoretical tradition from the 19th century. One of its postulates: keyboard is a surrogate of orchestra and as such must be used in teaching theory. I suggest that we treat it with appropriate respect.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Professor of Music Theory
Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com