[Smt-talk] Scale degrees

Steve Grazzini steve.grazzini at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:14:48 PDT 2014

Dear all,

As Nicolas points out, it's interesting that Campion would have felt
compelled to write out the rule of the octave in every key. Perhaps this
even suggests that French musicians of the period weren't yet accustomed to
thinking in terns of scale degrees. However, Campion does occasionally
describe the bass in terms of ordinal scale degrees. For instance, he says
that the #4 chord is only used on "la quatriéme du ton." At one point he
gives the full rule of the octave in the same terms (1716, 20–21), saying
that in a major key, "la premiere du ton" takes the major third, fifth, and
octave; the "seconde" takes the minor third, fourth, and the major sixth;
and so on, just as in the partimento rules that Nick mentioned in the
original posting.

Similar rules appear in the manuscript "Règles d'acompagnement" of
Clérambault, which are also dated 1716. Here Clérambault sometimes uses the
expression "degré du mode" in roughly the same way that we are using "scale
degree." And although Dandrieu seems to prefer to call the notes of the
scale "finale," "sufinale," and so on, he defines those terms by referring
to the "premiere note d'un mode," etc.

Even if the ordinal names for scale degrees were commonly used in France by
1720, it's worth noting that Gervais (1733) still hasn't quite caught on,
and numbers the descending scale backwards, with 1 for the upper tonic, 2
for the leading tone -- all the way down to 8 for the lower tonic!

With best wishes,

Steve Grazzini
Bloomington, Indiana

Steve Grazzini