[Smt-talk] Scale degrees

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Thu May 15 15:11:43 PDT 2014

Dear Nick, Vasili, and all,

Dandrieu indeed gives a figure where the degrees of the C scale are
numbered 1, b2 (or b9), n2 (or n9), b3 (or #2), n3, 4, #4 (or b5), 5, b6
(or #5), 6 (or b7 [sic]), b7, n7 and 8 (where 'n' stands for natural).
This is an isolated and therefore most interesting case in France at
this time. It is not entirely clear, however, whether these figures
possibly refer to bass notes (b9, n9 and #2, particularly, are somewhat
troublesome in this respect).

Dandrieu also appears one of the firsts, probably the first, to use the
term /soudominante/, which was not very common in the first half of the
18th century and which even Fétis did not use more than a century later
(Fétis said "the 4th degree of the scale"!).

François Campion, describing the règle de l'octave, for which bass
numbers would have been quite convenient, fell compelled to notate it in
twelve transpositions, in major and in minor, i.e. two times twelve
almost identical staves (but for the transposition) and never thought of
numbering the degrees.

Quirinus Van Blankenburg, who published his /Elementa musica/ in Dutch
in 1739, derided French theory in general and François Campion in
particular, saying:

    //zal men de namen der schale nomberen en zeggen met Campion blz. 22
    dat N. 1 zal hebben een 3 en 5, N. 2 een 6, enz./[/?/]
    /Shall one number the degrees of the scales and say with Campion p.
    22 that n. 1 shall have a 3 and a 5, n. 2 a 6, etc.?

This, to me, was until now the first clear European reference to a
numbering of the bass degrees. I did not pay enough attention to the
Kayser manuscript, as quoted by Lester, and I will do so as soon as
possible.