[Smt-talk] Scale degrees

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 20:53:06 PDT 2014

Dear List,

in addition to very informative references to Western European treatises, it could be of interest to observe what Nikola Diletsky in his Idea Musikiiskoi Grammatiki (1679) used for scale steps. His book is a very peculiar mélange of theoretical approaches. For the scale steps he uses Guidonian solmizatioin notation (!) and the diagram of the hand, but his musical examples reveal tonal structure of emerging Russian homophonic-harmonic texture. The hexachordal notation of pitches is related in his system not to three types of hexachords, but to three clefs, used at the time. The notation of each pitch with Latin letter and two or three solfege syllables here means something entirely different from the Guidonian system. It is not very clearly expressed, but Diletsky implies that in aLaRe the la "goes down" and the re "goes up." This has lead Yuri Khoopov to an analogy with tonal-harmonic function, a kind of orientation and directionality within the
 modal framework. He called this one "modal functions of the scale steps."

Diletsky clearly defines major and minor key, major and minor triads (Ut, Mi, Sol and re, fa, la (!)), and provides a beautiful circular diagram of the circle of fifth, with the enumeration of each key with the  Arabic numbers, from 1-12.

Later in his text he provides a kind of specie counterpoint concept of his own.

The origin of his concept is dual, Russian and Polish (perhaps, related to Catholic tradition in some way).

In all, a very interesting eclectic concept that defies traditional periodization.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute, Johns Hopkins University
Solfeggio7 at yahoo.com