[Smt-talk] Scale degrees

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Sun May 18 15:01:44 PDT 2014

The initial question, unless I am mistaken, concerned the use of
numerals for the bass notes -- more specifically as supporting
harmonies. Numbering the degrees of the scale is a somewhat different
matter, but quite interesting nevertheless.

What is interesting here is to see when the numbering (letters of the
alphabet also may count as numbers) was made to cycle at the octave.
-- Greek instrumental notation at times made use of the first seven
letters of the alphabet, repeating the same letters turned around for
the second (and possibly the third) octave.
-- Boethius and others made use of alphabets without limitation, i.e.
without cycling at any interval.
-- Between Hucbald and the pseudo Odo of Cluny, the notation often was
tetrachordal, i.e. made use of only four numbers, or letters, or names;
this is the origin of hexachordal solmisation.
-- Odo, /c/1100, apparently was the first medieval author to suggest the
notation with seven letters, cycling at the octave, which is still in
use today, and which for a long time was in use in parallel with the
tetrachordal/hexachordal naming of the degrees.

Ramos de Pareja is among those who proposed a solmisation system
covering the octave, in eight syllables instead of seven, /psal-li-tur
per vo-ces is-tas/ ("one sings with these syllables"), with /tas/
denoting the same note as /psal/, but one octave higher (the vowel /a/
was intended to convey some idea of their identity). Mersenne, I think,
similarly proposed (among many other systems) /ut re mi fa sol la si
dut/, where /dut/ denoted that it was the high octave.
     Ramos started from F because that was the normal lower limit of
organ keyboards by the end of the 15th century, and the normal extension
of the musical system, one degree lower than the original Gamma of Odo.
However, he numbers the degrees in various ways, once at least I think
in the order of the cycle of fiths: 1=F, 2=C, 3=G, 4=D, etc.

The numbering of the degrees of the rule of the octave is similar to
numbering any scale degree; it obviously concerns the bass, though --
but not yet the fundamental bass, it does not consider inversions. The
use of Roman numerals to denote the roots of the chords originates with
Georg Joseph Vogler, was popularized by Gottfried Weber and became a
characteristic Viennese technique with Simon Sechter.**

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne (emeritus)