[Smt-talk] F SHARP MAJOR

Devin Chaloux devin.chaloux at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:52:18 PDT 2014

I have a few personal favorites that are from less traditional, but still
common-practice sources:

Edward MacDowell's "To A Water Lily" from Woodland Sketches, Op. 51/6 (one
of my favorite in this set, free MP3 on IMSLP)
Louis Moreau Gottschalk's "The Banjo"
A couple from Grieg's Op. 43 Lyric Suites: "In My Homeland" Op. 43/3 and
"To Spring" Op. 43/6
Opening of George Whitfield Chadwick's tone poem "Aphrodite" (bearing an
uncanny resemblance to the prelude of Tristan und Isolde...which is also
strange because there have been some who have said the same about Melpomene
too [see Bomberger])
Cesar Franck's Piano Trio Op. 1/1 (first movement is in F# minor with a
very significant section in F# major, finale is in F# major)

Best,

*Devin Chaloux*
Indiana University
Ph.D. in Music Theory (enrolled)
University of Cincinnati - College-Conservatory of Music
M.M. in Music Theory '12
University of Connecticut
B.M. in Music Theory '10