[Smt-talk] Core music theory courses for undergraduates

Deborah Stein dstein36 at comcast.net
Wed May 21 09:19:27 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

At NEC we have 4 semesters of 2 separate sequences:  solfege with fixed do
runs for 4 semesters; fundamentals for students who need it, followed by
harmony, called Tonal Practice (TP), which has 3 semesters: TP I does an
intro species ctpt, diatonic harmony with V7 & inversions, and phrase
structure (periods/sentences); TP II adds 7th chords, applied chords,
modulation/tonicization and binary/ternary forms; TP III continues with
chromaticism and sonata form.  Both these sequences meet MWF for 3 credits
each.

While solfege is a separate sequence, the TP classes incorporate solfege and
try to use some of the repertory from solfege.  TP also includes a lot of
dictation and listening.  All form units use aural recognition (from CDs),
all new topics are introduced by ear,  and we have species ctpt & harmonic
progressions for homework (Cloud) through the sequence.  This sequence also
has keyboard labs, 30 minutes/week taught by TAs that aim to correspond to
the written work.

There are some frustrations, of course:  (1) almost no 20th-century music in
the core; (2) not enough time for keyboard; (3) not enough time for real
mastery of part writing and analysis.  One major issue is not having a
required course on 20th-century analysis.

The rest of the training is within a variety of  electives: 16th-century and
18th-century counterpoint courses, various courses in 20th-century and
21-century topics; a German Lied course and an extended-tonality (advanced
harmony); intro to Schenker for performers, rep courses for Bach, Beethoven
and Brahms, etc.  But only so many students get to take these (between 16
and 20 per class).

One of the things I feel good about is how we incorporate keyboard (through
the coordinated syllabi) and ear training in our so-called written theory.
I cannot imagine not having aural development along with part writing.  And
the students are very motivated to HEAR the materials they compose.

I look forward to seeing what other schools do!

Deborah

Deborah Stein
Music Theory Department
New England Conservatory