[Smt-talk] Core music theory courses for undergraduates

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 09:23:39 PDT 2014

Dear Anna and the List,

from my 18 years of experience in the USA and previous knowledge of the topic I can suggest something that may seem fantastic yet is feasible and, in a long run, ultimately productive.

The theory disciplines (rudiments, diatonic harmony, classical forms, basic strict and free counterpoint, and ear training) should be introduced at an earlier age. All the textbooks that I have seen and used (including a venerable Kostko and Payne) are better suited for the 14-17 year olds. For more detailed proof of this I refer to a wealth of information in professional child psychology (e.g. Boris Teplov, The Psychology of Musical Talent).

Of course, this was impossible to implement just some ten years ago. However, in 2014, nothing can keep you from establishing a distant learning program in local magnet schools. Contemporary technology can compensate for some technical difficulties of such programs.

So, the ideal plan will be:

1) To establish an early-age theory training network at the local magnet schools and/or at the preparatory school at your conservatory (if there is one). The graduates from these schools will comprise the core of your incoming students. Their level of preparation will significantly exceed the average level. The rest of your incoming students will have to catch up. At least, they will see what is the benchmark level of skills, acceptable at your school.
This pre-college program will include 4 to 6 semesters of ear training done by your junior faculty and/or GAs; 4 semesters of tonal harmony; 2 semesters of classical forms and analysis; 2 semesters of counterpoint; 6 semesters of musical literature. You could employ some of your graduate students here, as a form of teaching practicum.

2) At the undergraduate level, for BM students, you can introduce more specialized and more in-depth courses that will benefit your students and will make you a top music school. For example, instead of a part-writing course, you could introduce a four-semester course in harmony by styles and periods, using the method of model composition, keyboard improvisation and heavy reading and writing component. Instead of going over the classical forms, at this level you can introduce a class in analysis, appropriate for the college level. And, of course, you can spend more time in the classes teaching atonal, pre-tonal, non-common-practice music and a smorgasbord of courses on performance, interpretation, period music, etc. You can also lighten up the theory requirements for the majors that need more time for other aspects of training, without compromising their academic training in theoretical disciplines.

So, here are my two cents.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute, Johns Hopkins University
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com