[Smt-talk] Core music theory courses for undergraduates

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Thu May 22 07:30:31 PDT 2014

I am wondering how much class time is devoted to the study and performance of rhythm. We do a great deal with sight singing and keyboard, but I have always felt we too often bypass the most fundamental of musical parameters. When I was an undergrad there was only the Robert Starer rhythm book and it really never did the trick. Since then there have been a few good books published, including my All-Star Rhythm & Pitch Book, that address this critical area of student development. I know from 50 years of teaching that students need this kind of work and find it terribly rewarding. I am always amazed at how much the students who use my book learn in one semester. They seem to move much faster into complicated rhythms than we did back in the Jurassic Period.

Dr. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
Shepard Hall Room 72